There are at least 187,000 hotels in the world as of 2023. There are an estimated 17.5 million guestrooms in the world.
How many hotels there are?
21. As of 2022, there are 132,228 hotels and motels in the US, which is 8.3% more than in 2021. –
How many luxury hotels are there in the world?
Explore Hotel Industry Statistics & Trends including Average Occupancy, Rates, Global Hotel Industry Trends & More! – The hotel industry is consistently growing, with over 700,000 hotels around the world and contributing over $3.41 trillion to the global economy, the industry has recovered well from the 2008 recession.
In 2019 the global hotel industry was worth $570 billion USD. In 2018 the hotel company contributing the most revenue was the Marriott generating $20.8 billion USD. The rise in purchasing power, the desire for travel experiences and the increasing number of digital influences are fuelling the growth in the travel industry.
Travelers are spending well over $840 billion a year on hotel stays worldwide and the most expensive room comes in at $100,000 a night! Read on to find out everything you need to know about hotel industry trends.
- In 2019, there are over 700,000 hotels and resorts worldwide.
- The industry is thriving and worth over $570 billion
- The global hotel market has over 4 million hotel rooms worldwide.
The average room rate in the US is $120.01. The travel industry is worth around $1.6 trillion globally and accounts for one-tenth of the world’s GDP. There are over 91,000 hotels and motels in the US, generating over $194 billion a year according to IBISWorld. Over 52,000 of those are hotels. The motel industry has grown by 4.4% over the past 5 years in the US.
- The average occupancy rate for motels was 68% in 2018, 7 out of 10 rooms are occupied at any one time.
- The hotel & motel industry has a total industry revenue of $206 billion (2019), outperforming the wider economy for the last 5 years in the US.
- There are 100,535 businesses within the hotel industry, with more consistently being added to the industry landscape.
- In 2018, there was an increase of 669,460 rooms in the US.
- Over 173 million people are employed in the hotel & motel industry.
There are over 700,000 hotels and resorts worldwide. The industry is thriving and worth over $570 billion worldwide. The global hotel market has over 16.4 million hotel rooms.
- The city with the most hotels is in Beijing, China with 4,169 hotels.
- The city with the most 5* hotels is in London with 75, closely followed by Dubai with 61.
- Luxury hotel statistics shows there are over 4,400 4 and 5-star hotels around the world.
- The leading group in the world is the Wyndham Hotel Group with over 9157 properties.
- Followed by Choice Hotels International which have over 7,045 and Marriot International with 7,003.
- The hotel with the most rooms is The Izmailovo in Moscow with a total of 7,500 rooms!
- The Abraj Kudai in Mecca, Saudi Arabia is under construction but will have the most in the world with a whopping 10,000 rooms!
The industry is worth over $570 billion worldwide, with over 700,000 hotels and resorts and 16.4 million hotel rooms worldwide. Beijing, China is home to the most hotels in the world with over 4,169. In the US, the city with the most hotel rooms is Las Vegas with over 150,000 rooms and New York comes in second with over 115,000.
- New York also has the highest number of clean hotel rooms in the US.
- With the growing demand for travel, the industry is continuing to grow rapidly; the number of new hotels opening just in London is said to reach 121, offering 14,840 new rooms in 2019-20.
- In Dubai, tourism is soaring and at the end of June 2019, 714 hotels with 118,345 hotel rooms were on offer.
The hotel with most rooms is planned for Saudi Arabi and will have over 10,000 rooms! There’s no question this industry won’t be slowing down any time soon. Sources :,,,,,, There are approximately 9 million guest rooms in the US including everything from budget motels to 5* hotels.
On average, 2% of rooms in all U.S. hotels and motels are occupied at any given time. In 2018 occupancy rose by 5% to 66.2% in the US. The most expensive hotel room in American and now the world is The Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas, taking the concept of luxe travel to a whole different level. Its new Damien-Hirst-designed Empathy Suite costs $100,000 a night.
The Ritz Carlton was rated the best luxury hotel in the U.S. and Canada. There are 150,000 rooms in Las Vegas and the oldest hotel is the Golden Gate which opened in 1906. Since the recession, the US hotel industry has recovered well. There are currently 4.9 million hotels in the US and from 2009 – 2017, gross bookings grew from $116 billion to $185 billion,
- The rise in purchasing power, the desire for travel and the increase in digital influences are fueling the growth in the travel industry.
- The US is full of stunning places to stay, no matter what you’re looking for.
- If you’re not short of cash, then The Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas is home to the most expensive room in the world, The Empathy Suite, named by Time Magazine as one of the ‘world’s greatest places.’ This 2-storey villa was designed by Damien Hirst, and doubles as an art gallery.
It is 9,000 square feet and offers everything from a huge curved bar to a pool overlooking Las Vegas, what more could you want for $100,000 a night? Sources:,,,,
- There were 66 new hotels opened in Dubai in 2018.
- At the end of June 2019, Dubai had 714 hotels with 118,345 rooms.
- By 2020, 25,000 new rooms will be available in Dubai.
- Over 15 million overnight visitors head to Dubai every year.
- Dubai’s hospitality industry supports over 400,000 jobs.
- Dubai’s biggest hotel is the JW Marriott Marquis Dubai with 1,608 rooms, over 20 restaurants, and 72 floors.
- Occupancy has fallen by 2% since previous years but remains high at 70%.
The average daily rate (ADR) fell by 5.8% and RevPAR ( revenue per available room ) fell by 7.7% in 2018. This is down to pricing more competitively, due to a cash-constrained guest profile. ADR is at $201, well above the UAE 10-year average. The hospitality industry in Dubai has grown dramatically, however, in recent years occupancy has started to slow down.
- There has been a huge building boom of over $15 billion but this growth has outperformed demand; slowing visitor numbers have meant hotels have had to competitively price rooms.
- This has resulted in lower ADRs and lower RevPAR.
- Despite this, the industry isn’t showing signs of slowing down, with 25,000 new rooms planned for 2020.
Dubai is home to some of the world’s most luxurious hotels including the Burj Al Arab. The Royal Suite will set you back $24,000 a night, taking up 2 floors it offers pillars covered in gold and a private library. The biggest hotel in Dubai is currently the JW Marriott Marquis Dubai with 1,608 rooms.
- Sources:,, The ADR of a hotel room in the US rose from $124 in 2015 to $129.83 in 2018.
- From this the RevPAR was $85.96, up 2.9% annually.
- Canada’s RevPAR was up 5.3% to $108.39,
- The country with the highest ADR is Geneva, Switzerland with an ADR of $308 a night.
- The city with the highest ADR in the US is South Beach Miami at $245 a night.
In London, ADR has grown 1.4% to £150.90, Hotel occupancy rate in the UK is 76% and 2% in the US. New York is home to the highest prices per night in the US, with the average being $306 in 2019. The average hotel occupancy rate is slightly higher in the UK at 76% compared with the US at 66.2%.
This is in line with the average global hotel occupancy rate of between 50%-80% with the UK being on the higher side, perhaps due to rising visitor numbers and less accommodation to choose from compared with the US. The average daily rate in the US is rising, with the most expensive daily rate being $306 in New York.
However, Geneva, Switzerland is the most expensive place in the world with an ADR of $308. With demand for rooms increasing, these numbers don’t seem to be dropping any time soon. Sources:,, The hospitality industry contributes $3.41 trillion to the global economy every year.
- US hotel industry was responsible for 1 in 25 jobs in the US in 2018.
- In 2018, the industry was responsible for 3 million jobs – up 160,000 from 2015.
- The average employee works on average 25 hours a week.
- Hoteliers spend on average 33% revenue on labour costs.
- The International Labour Office estimates 55% of the global hotel workforce is female.
- 29% of those working in the hotel hospitality industry is under 21 years old.
- 39% of front of house staff leave within the first 90 days.
88% of Americans choose to book their accommodation online. Websites offer users a simple way to compare prices, rooms, reviews and more all in one place. Customers like to browse for the best deals, plan their own itinerary and like having the freedom to plan less thoroughly.
- Millennials prefer to book through a travel agent and browse websites for research over bookings.
- A study conducted by MMGY Global in 2017-18, found 33% of millennials are eager to use travel agents over the next 2 years.
- This doesn’t relate to the traditional high street travel agents, but travel advisors who can help millennials plan experiences and off-the-beaten track trips.
- Approximately 41% of travellers book hotel rooms for business trips.
- 40% of business travellers stay just one night, paying $143 on average for their rooms.
- Half of leisure travellers stay just one night, but they get a cheaper price on their room, with an average bill of $123.
$422.82 per night is the amount for a hotel room for a business traveller in NYC, making New York City the most expensive city for business travel in the United States.69% of business travellers book their flight and hotel arrangements on their own. Business and leisure travellers will tend to book their hotels and travel in different ways.
- Business travellers traditionally didn’t book their own travel and accommodation and the business would handle this.
- However, 69% of business travellers now book their own flights and hotels; this is said to be because employees would prefer to choose the flight times and preferred hotel.
- As the company is covering the expense, travellers won’t tend to be as concerned with the best deal and hunting for a bargain.
Businesses also tend to have negotiated rates with certain hotels. They will perhaps choose hotels which are close to the office and won’t be too concerned with the amenities. Leisure travellers, on the other hand, will be looking for the best price and will have a different set of needs to that of business travellers.
- 58% of travellers chose their hotel based on whether the hotel contributed to the community and gave back to the planet.
- 7% of people will pay $10-$15 extra a night if the hotel is more environmentally friendly.
- 81% of people surveyed travelled green by using recycling facilities in their hotel.
- 70% of travellers said they would be more likely to book hotels and accommodation knowing it was eco-friendly.
Over the past few years, the concept of going green has seen huge growth and this is no exception in the travel sector.70% of travellers would be more likely to book a hotel knowing it was eco-friendly, even if they weren’t originally looking for a sustainable stay and 12.7% of people would also be willing to spend the extra money for an environmentally friendly stay.
- Global tourism accounts for 8% of greenhouse gasses and some hotels are starting to take notice and implement environmentally friendly practices to help them become more sustainable.
- There are thousands of eco-friendly hotels around the world to choose from, but America was considered as one of the most environmentally friendly countries based on Expedia traveller reviews with Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, Mexico being labelled as the most eco-friendly hotel around the world.
Sources :,,,, : 65+ Hotel Industry Statistics & Trends (2020-2021)
How many hotels are in Europe?
This statistic shows the number of hotels and similar accommodation in the European Union (EU-28) from 2006 to 2019. In 2010 there were around 205 thousand hotels and similar accommodations in the EU. The figures decreased in the following years. In 2019, the number of hotels amounted to around 201 thousand.
Do 6 or 7 star hotels exist?
Are 7-Star Hotels Officially Recognised? – Officially, a 7-star rating is impossible. Across the world, fairly uniform hotel classification systems are used, particularly in instances of international standardisation, such as the European Hotelstars Union (HSU ).
According to these systems, the maximum rating a hotel can achieve is officially 5-stars. However, this hasn’t stopped journalists, reviewers and guests creating a coveted, unofficial 7-star category in online and public discourse. In the never-ending search to create bigger, more luxurious and more excessive hotel resorts, property developers hope that their next project will smash records and redefine the limits of luxury accommodation.
With such hype, comes a promise that the traditional 5-star rating system is simply too primitive for the opulence and grandeur of a new hotel development. In recent years, the possibility of a nation’s first 7-star hotel is generally floated by the developers and tourist boards themselves, drumming up anticipation for a resort of national pride.
What percent of hotels are luxury?
Luxury Hotels: Elevated Occupancy and Expenses | By Robert Mandelbaum and Mark R. Woodworth Despite the relatively high cost of construction and complexity of operations, developers are still attracted to owning and managing luxury hotels. As of August 2019, STR reports that just 0.7 percent of the hotels (2.3% of rooms) in the United States are chain-affiliated luxury hotels.
What is the biggest hotel in EU?
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This is a list of hotels in Europe that have 1,000 or more guest accommodation rooms. Since 1980, the largest hotel in Europe is the Izmailovo Hotel in Moscow, Russia with 5,000 rooms divided between four buildings.
How many hotels in London?
In total, 1494 hotels offered accommodation in London in 2015, with the majority of establishments having up to 49 rooms.
Which country has 7 star hotel in world?
The only 7 star hotel in the world – Review of Burj Al Arab, Dubai – Tripadvisor.
Which European city has the most hotel rooms?
European cities with the most hotel openings – London tops the leaderboard when it comes to European cities with 106 hotels and 18,235 rooms to be added to its already impressive hospitality offering. Dublin follows in a distant second place, contributing 50 openings and 8,204 new rooms.
Who owns 1 hotel?
Barry Sternlicht Launches 1 Hotels Brand | InspireDesign Innovative vision for today’s hotel NEW YORK—Starwood Capital Group Chairman and CEO Barry Sternlicht has launched the new mission-driven, luxury lifestyle brand 1 Hotels in South Beach, FL. Two other 1 Hotels will debut in Central Park here in late spring and Brooklyn Bridge Park at the end of 2015.
- Each hotel in the 1 Hotels portfolio is consciously designed in collaboration with eco-friendly architects and craftsmen, and each property features high-design with low-impact, reclaimed and natural materials wherever possible, according to the brand.
- It’s simple.
- We have an impact on nature and nature has an impact on us.
I decided that if I was ever going to create another hotel, I wanted it to be more than a brand; I wanted it to be a cause. People are already living like this and are now looking for ways to travel in the same fashion,” said Sternlicht, whose company will manage the hotels.
“At first, our guests may simply notice the graceful twist of driftwood in the furnishings. However, what we are really offering is an evolution of the entire hotel experience, one that is more natural in regards to the way we arrive, sleep, eat, relax and do. By focusing on simple changes that make life better, we will encourage guests to stop, recalibrate and hopefully gain some inspiration from the small steps we have taken to protect nature at each property.” At 1 Hotel & Homes South Beach, guests will be welcomed with 3,000 feet of living wall wrapped-around its exterior with 11,000 local tropical plant varieties and playful art as nature pieces such as interactive hanging terrariums.
At Central Park, guests will see a three-story living wall of English Ivy on the building’s exterior and be greeted by hanging kokedamas in the lobby with terrariums and indoor window planters in guestrooms from Brooklyn-based Sprout Home. For interiors and landscaping at 1 Hotel & Homes South Beach, boutique design Meyer Davis Studio transforms a Miami building on 600 feet of pristine oceanfront into a visionary statement of design inspired by nature and Nikola Gradisinki of NGNY revamped the property’s rooftop.
Guestrooms and suites at every 1 Hotel feature custom hemp-blend Keetsa mattresses topped with hypoallergenic, 100% organic linens; custom-created 1 Hotels bath and body products; soft socks in lieu of slippers; hangers made from recycled paper; yoga mats; and natural stones engraved “not now” to place outside the door to replace the traditional “do not disturb” door hanger.
At 1 Hotel & Homes South Beach, where the 426 rooms average 700 sq. ft.—the largest on South Beach—king-sized beds built on reclaimed white oak platforms will be the norm with wrap-around daybed couches; bedside chalkboards for notes; and complimentary reusable recycled water glasses to use with the Triple Clear Water in-room water tap.
Signature brand amenities available at each property include: Tesla premium electric car service for guest transportation within a pre-set radius, complimentary bicycle valet, complimentary parking for guests who bring their own electric vehicles, complimentary WiFi, and digital newspapers on an in-room device.
Chef Tom Colicchio will oversee three food and beverage programs and in-room dining at 1 Hotel & Homes South Beach, including Beachcraft, which will highlight Florida’s best fisherman and farmers; the lobby bar called Tom on Collins; and the poolside restaurant and bar The Sand Box.
In May 2015, the property will introduce 1 Kitchen: Organic Food And Juice Bar by Spring Cafe. Occupying an entire city block on Collins Ave. from 23rd to 24th Sts., 1 Hotel & Homes South Beach sits directly on 600 feet of beachfront. The property offers views of the Atlantic Ocean, Miami’s Biscayne Bay and Downtown Miami’s skyline.
The property features four swimming pools, including a 112-ft. rooftop pool as part of the 26,000-sq.-ft. rooftop ultra-lounge; 57 cabanas and daybeds; an 18,000-sq.-ft. spa, wellness and fitness center, set to open late 2015; more than 100,000 sq. ft. of indoor and outdoor space; and 155 branded residences.
Why is there only one 7 star hotel in the world?
Fit with a helipad. – This iconic Dubai landmark is famously known as the world’s only ‘7-Star Hotel’, due to it’s innovative, impressive architecture, opulent suites, and outstanding guest service. Located close to Madinat Jumeirah, the Burj Al Arab sits out at sea on it’s own ‘mini island’, featuring a gated bridge-like entry and impressive forecourt, with staff waiting to welcome you.
How big is a 1st world hotel room?
Deluxe Room – The First World Hotel’s Deluxe Rooms are located in tower 2. With an average of 180 square feet (17 square meters) of room size, they offer ample space, and they come with standard hotel equipment like a mini fridge, kettle, coffee maker, and a bathroom with a standing shower. It’s a no-frills experience but good value for money. The M Spa & Fitness has a sauna, a steam room, and a jacuzzi that fits the whole family. First World Hotel’s spa offers traditional plant-based treatments as well. The 400,000 square feet (37,161 square meters) Skytropolis Indoor Theme Park has over 20 thrill rides, and it’s located at First World Plaza and adjacent to SkyAvenue. You can buy a daily unlimited pass for 62 Malaysian ringgit (2022 price). But you can also opt for pay-per-ride tickets if you only want to try some. First World Plaza is located a floor above the hotel’s lobby level, spreading on 500,000 square feet of space (46,000 square meters). The Arena of Stars is a 45,000-square feet (4,181 square meters) musical amphitheater in Resorts World Genting. It was constructed in 1998, and it can seat 6,000 people. It’s famous for its traditional lion and dragon dance competitions. But it also hosted world-famous singers and bands like Lionel Richie and Deep Purple.
Why is a hotel 1 star?
1-Star Rating: The Bare Necessities – A one-star hotel is simply a place to rest your head for the night. Generally owned by a sole proprietor, these hotels offer modest rooms with nothing more than a bed and bathroom. There are no restaurants on-site, but there should be one within walking distance of the hotel.
Do 2 star hotels exist?
What Is a 2 Star Hotel? – A 2 star hotel offers the basic necessities of a bed and bathroom in each room and may offer some limited amenities, like a television, phone, and closet. Some examples of 2 star hotels include Sleep Inn & Suites, Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, and Comfort Inn.
- There may also be 24-hour front desk services, along with daily housekeeping and a self-serve dining option at the hotel, such as a continental breakfast,
- Two-star hotels are often part of a larger chain and can be located in various cities.
- These hotels are made for travelers passing through and will be located directly off major expressway exits.
They may even offer reward points as part of loyalty programs for those who travel often.
How many standard hotels are there?
Standard Hotels is a group of seven boutique hotels in New York City (Meatpacking District and East Village), Miami Beach, London, Maldives, Ibiza, and Hua Hin, Thailand.
How big is the hotel industry in the world?
Hotels Market – Global Industry Analysis and Forecast (2022-2029)
Summary ToC Request Sample Customization Inquire
Hotels Market was valued at USD 822.86 Billion in 2021, and it is expected to reach USD 1,663.82 Billion by 2029, exhibiting a CAGR of 9.2 % during the forecast period A hotel is a maintained facility or institution that offers guests a place to stay overnight – in return for money – on a short-term basis.
- The exact amenities and services supplied to visitors can vary greatly from one hotel to the next, and hotel owners often attempt to target a specific sort of consumer through their pricing model and marketing approach, or by the range of services they offer.
- The hotel business is the branch of the service sector that deals with visitor accommodations.
Most definitions of the hotel sector include not only hotels, but also many other types of overnight lodging, such as hostels, motels, inns, and guest homes. It does not, however, generally include long-term or permanent kinds of lodging. The current emerging trend in hotel industry which are expected to drive the growth of the market are smart hotel technology, sustainable hotels, mobile bookings, robot staff, VR&AR, sharing economy, online travel agents, digital guest experience, bleisure travel, voice tech, drone tech, flexible check-in & check-out, AI, hassel-free payment, smart rooms, green hotels, multicultural employment, hotel designs, and business strategies. To know about the Research Methodology :- Request Free Sample Report
Where is the biggest hotel in the world?
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This is a list of hotels that have 3,000 or more guest accommodation rooms. Since 2020, the largest hotel in the world is the First World Hotel in Malaysia with 7,351 rooms divided between two buildings. The largest single hotel building is MGM Grand Las Vegas, with 5,124 rooms in one building.