A Brand Leader – Offering the most powerful portfolio in the industry, our 30 brands and 8,000+ properties across 139 countries and territories give people more ways to connect, experience and expand their world.
How many Marriott hotels are in the world?
|Marriott International’s new headquarters building (2022) in Bethesda, Maryland|
|Founded||March 5, 1927 ; 96 years ago in Washington, D.C., U.S.|
|Headquarters||Bethesda, Maryland, U.S.|
|Number of locations||8,484|
|Revenue||US$ 13.86 billion (2021)|
|Operating income||US$1.75 billion (2021)|
|Net income||US$1.10 billion (2021)|
|Total assets||US$25.55 billion (2021)|
|Total equity||US$1.41 billion (2021)|
|Number of employees||120,000 (December 2021)|
|Footnotes / references|
Marriott International, Inc. is an American multinational company that operates, franchises, and licenses lodging including hotel, residential and timeshare properties. It is headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland, The company was founded by J. Willard Marriott and his wife Alice Marriott,
Is Marriott the largest hotel chain?
In this article, you will read which hotel companies are leading forces in the global hotel market for 2022.
- Marriott International Of course, Marriott International, the American multinational company in the hotel industry leads the list with the Top 10 major hotel companies in the world for 2021. Marriott is the largest hotel chain in the world by the number of available rooms. It has 30 brands with 7.642 hotels including 1.423.044 rooms in 131 countries and territories. Between 2020 and 2021 the number of Marriott International rooms increased from 1.358.400 to 1.400.289 rooms, recording an increase of 3.1%. Jin Jiang With more hotels than Marriott International but less rooms, Jin Jiang is the second largest hotel chain in the world in terms of room offerings. In 2021, according to latest data the Chinese company manages more than 10.000 hotels with almost 1.100.000 rooms, recording a growth of 6.7%, compared to last year.
Hilton Hotels Hilton Hotels is the third largest hotel chain in the world. Between 2020 and 2021 more than 600 hotels were added to the company’s portfolio. The growth of this group remains strong, mainly in the United States. In 2021 Hilton Hotels operates 1.010.257 rooms. This number has increased 4.9%, compared to last year.
Net income was $240 million for the third quarter of 2021, according to financial results. Hilton added 14.700 rooms in the third quarter, contributing to 11.200 net additional rooms during the period and approximately 6.6% annualized net unit growth from September 30, 2020.
InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) Today, InterContinental Hotels Group is No.4 worldwide. The Group recorded “weak” growth of only 0.3% between 2020 and 2021. It is worth mentioning that, in 2020 for IHG, a 52.5% reduction in RevPAR led to operating profit from reportable segments falling by 75%. InterContinental Hotels Group has almost 6.000 hotels and 886.036 rooms in its portfolio.
Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, Inc The Wyndham Hotels and Resorts is the fifth largest in the world. The American hotel group «saw» a 4.2% drop in its room offer, making it the only western hotel group in the top 10 with the lowest number of rooms, compared to last year.
- Nowadays, the Wyndham Hotels and Resorts owns 8,941 hotels with 795,909 rooms.
- The hotel company is based in Parsippany, New Jersey and revenue for fiscal year ended December 31, 2020 reached 1.300 billion dollars.
- Accor Group This French hotel chain has more than 5.000 hotels worldwide.
- The number of Accor Group rooms is over 750.000, with an annual increase of 3.1% in the room offer.
Growth has remained stable for many years, with the Accor group growing by about 3% between 2019 and 2020. Recently was announced that Accor became an official partner of the Olympic and Paralympic Games Paris 2024. Huazhu Hotels Group Huazhu Hotels Group is another Chinese hotel group with a large number of hotels and rooms in its portfolio.
- The headquarter is in Changning District, Shanghai.
- It was founded in 2005.
- The chain operates almost 7.000 hotels and has 607.137 rooms.
- Growth compared to 2020 was extremely high and between 2020 and 2021 the increase in room supply amounted to 23.2%.
- Choice Hotels Recording a global increase in room offer of 1.2%, the American franchiser Choice Hotels has not moved from 8th place in the ranking.
For 2021 the hotel chain has 7.147 hotels, with a total offer of 597.977 rooms. Choice Hotels operates in more than 40 countries around the world. Third quarter in 2021 domestic RevPAR exceeded guidance and grew 11.4% above 2019 levels, awarded 89 new domestic franchise agreements in the quarter, a 10% increase from the same period of 2020.
OYO Hotels & Homes It is an Indian hotel chain that came through a lot of problems in the last year. Thus, its room offer is reduced by 54.3%, compared to last year. The company which was founded in 2013 had some serious problems in China and Europe that caused this huge loss in room supply. Compared to the ranking of the top 10 hotel chains of 2020, OYO has lost 7 places and is now in 9th place.
OYO still operates more than 20.000 hotels with 449.000 rooms. BTH Hotels BTH Hotels is the third Chinese hotel chain in the list of top 10. This chain, like Jin Jiang and Huazhu, achieved high growth this year compared to 2020. Room supply increased by 6.6% between 2020 and 2021.
Have you read? # Best Citizenship and Residency by Investment Programs, # Richest People in New York and Their Net Worth, 2022, Add CEOWORLD magazine to your Google News feed. Follow CEOWORLD magazine headlines on: Google News, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook, Thank you for supporting our journalism. Subscribe here, For media queries, please contact: [email protected]
How many hotels does Marriott have in the US?
How can I download a list of Marriott Group Hotels & Resorts locations in the United States into Excel? – You can download the complete list of 5,708 Marriott Group Hotels & Resorts locations data as an Excel file, along with geo-coded addresses, phone numbers and open hours from our data store. Download Dataset
What percentage of hotels does Marriott own?
Marriott owns about 1% of the 7,200 hotels and resorts that belong to its portfolio of 30 lodging brands. Rather than owning the other 99% of its hotels, Marriott holds management agreements with many of these properties, and licenses the Marriott name to franchisees.
Is Hilton or Marriott bigger?
If you’re choosing between Hilton and Marriott – Considering these criteria, Hilton is the clear winner in this showdown with Marriott. Although Marriott has more hotels and the transparency of using points there has been easier so far, it falls behind when it comes to practical travel.
This is due mainly to Hilton’s industry-leading credit cards and generous elite status benefits, which afford high-end perks to any traveler — especially those approved for the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card, Combined with a better ability to earn points and a more favorable transfer ratio, Hilton handily beats out Marriott in this competition.
All information about the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card has been collected independently by NerdWallet. The Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card is no longer available through NerdWallet. To view rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card, see this page,
How many hotels does Marriott have in Europe?
There were 721 Marriott properties in Europe in 2022.
What is the largest Marriott in Europe?
News – 1/12/2015 The remodelling works carried out have made this Marriott establishment, one of the most important in terms of international business tourism, the chain’s largest hotel in all of Europe. Of particular note are its 869 rooms and suites, 56 meeting rooms and an auditorium that can hold up to 2,000 people, in addition to 15.500 m² of exhibition halls and 1,000 parking spaces.
- The facade of the hotel was one of the main focuses of the remodelling work.
- It is now a marvel of engineering and architecture that is able to adapt and present two very different atmospheres, one for the day and one for the night.
- The hotel’s interior boasts some outstanding large and welcoming spaces designed for meeting together and enjoying the travelling experience as well as for increasing business productivity and efficiency.
Various areas offer different sorts of food and drink. These include the Champions Bar, which serves American fare in an informal, sports-themed atmosphere; the Greatroom, a modern and sophisticated space where customers can enjoy tapas; Kalma, offering Spanish and Mediterranean cuisine, and the Atrium Bar,
The hotel also features areas devoted to leisure, including a covered pool, an outdoor pool and a fitness centre, more COOKIES INFORMATION You are informed that the madrid.com/mcb website uses proprietary and third party cookies to compile information in order to optimise certain browsing dynamics, which can offer useful tools such as “adding Favourites”.
These cookies are not used to gather personal information. By continuing to browse the website you implicitly accept the use of said cookies. More information is available in our Cookies Policy section, Ok, I agree Cookies Policy
Is Airbnb bigger than Marriott?
Airbnb is now bigger than the world’s top five hotel brands put together A room for rent, courtesy of Airbnb Looking for a room? Airbnb now has 4 million listings worldwide – that’s more than the top five hotel brands combined. According to Business Insider, the home-sharing platform – which has offerings in 191 countries – outstrips Marriott International, Hilton Worldwide, Intercontinental Hotel Group, Wyndham Worldwide and Accor Hotel Group, which have 3.9 m listings between them. Courtesy of Airbnb The US is unsurprisingly the biggest market for the San Francisco-based startup, with 666,000 listings in the country. It’s followed by France with 485,000 listings, Italy with 340,000, Spain with 245,000, and the UK with 175,000.
‘On any given night, 2 million people are staying in other people’s homes around the world on Airbnb,’ And if rumours are true, Airbnb is looking to entice even more customers away from traditional hotel providers with expected to launch before the end of 2017.Tentatively titled ‘Select’, it’s geared towards older, wealthier travellers – Airbnb’s fastest growing demographic – who currently prefer the tried-and-tested amenities guaranteed by hotels.Watch this space
: Airbnb is now bigger than the world’s top five hotel brands put together
Who is Marriott owned by?
Bill Marriott – Raised in the family business, J.W. “Bill” Marriott, Jr. developed an early passion for hospitality. In his more than 60 years at the company’s helm, he built Marriott into a global lodging company with more than 8,000 properties spanning 139 countries and territories. Taking care of customers at the first Hot Shoppe at 14th & Kenyon, 1927. “Curbettes” provided car-side service at the Connecticut Avenue Hot Shoppe in 1936. Soldiers and their dates dine on burgers and shakes at a Hot Shoppe, December 1941. J. Willard Marriott tests propeller-side service at the 14th Street Bridge Hot Shoppe, June 1956. Enjoying in-car dining, 1952. Bill Marriott provides personalized directions to guests at the new Twin Bridges Marriott Motor Hotel, 1957. Woodrow Marriott celebrates the Junior Hot Shoppe in Philadelphia’s Progress Plaza, the first African-American owned shopping center in the United States, with members of the Plaza’s and the Shoppe’s management teams, December 1968. The Cairo Marriott Hotel and Omar Al Khayyam Casino was the first of Marriott’s African hotels, which opened in 1982. The central section had been the Gezirah Palace, originally built in 1869. Celebrating Marriott’s 25th year in the hotel business, J. Willard and Bill Marriott cut the maile lei to open the company’s 100th hotel in Maui, Hawaii.
Where is the world’s largest Marriott hotel?
World’s Largest Marriott: world record in Orlando, Florida Orlando, Florida, United States-, a hotel and convention center near Orlando, Florida, close to Walt Disney World is a the 2,010-room, 28-story building which contains more than 500,000 square feet (46,452 m2) of meeting space, nine on-site dining options, setting the world record for being the World’s Largest Marriott, according to the WORLD RECORD ACADEMY.
- Enrich your stay with all new guestrooms paired with out-of-this-world services and stellar amenities at Orlando World Center Marriott.
- Our Orlando resort near Walt Disney World® allows leisure and business travelers to retreat to an environment ideal for unwinding and being productive,” the reports.
“Experience our Orlando resort’s Falls Pool Oasis, featuring two 200-foot winding waterslides, a 90-foot speed slide, kid’s splash park and an expansive lagoon style pool with zero entry and sun shelves for additional pool lounging. As an ideal choice for professional events, this conference resort boasts 500,000 sq ft of flexible gathering space for meetings, conventions, weddings, receptions and social soirees.
- From 18 holes of championship golf and award-winning restaurants to the full-service spa and state-of-the-art fitness center, our Orlando resort inspires guests.
- When it’s time to rest, retire to modern guest rooms with all of the comforts of home.
- Escape to Walt Disney World®, or nearby SeaWorld® Orlando, Universal Studios® and LEGOLAND® when staying at the family-friendly Orlando World Center Marriott.
“Orlando World Center Marriott is a hotel and convention center near Orlando, Florida. The resort, which is close to Walt Disney World, is located off of World Center Drive, which was renamed from International Drive to the resort’s namesake after the southern extension of International Drive was built.
- Marriott’s Orlando World Center opened on March 24, 1986.
- At the time it was the largest hotel in Florida, and it is now the largest Marriott in the world.
- The 200-acre (0.81 km2) resort property is also home to the 18-hole Hawk’s Landing Golf Course, and the Marriott Vacation Club resorts of Marriott’s Sabal Palms, Marriott’s Royal Palms and Marriott’s Imperial Palm Villas.
In 2002, the hotel completed building a brand new 500-room tower, making the hotel the world’s largest Marriott, “In 2007, the hotel added 104,000 square feet of meeting space called the Cypress Ballroom which now connects with the Convention Center.” ( ) “The Orlando World Center Marriott Resort and Convention Center spans over 1.3 million square feet on 200 acres of property.
- Situated in the hub of tourist travel to Florida, it comprises more than 2,000 guest rooms and suites as well as 450,000 square feet of flexible event space,” the reports.”.The update provided the Orlando World Center consistency with new brand standards.
- The project included new doors, door hardware, millwork, crown molding, new closets, new lighting fixtures, carpet replacement, knockdown wall finish, and a comprehensive FF&E package.
In addition to the guest rooms, there was significant public space work completed such as railing work, millwork, new tile, and elevator cab interiors.”
Where is the largest Marriott in the world?
Resort property – Marriott’s Orlando World Center opened on March 24, 1986. At the time it was the largest hotel in Florida, and it is now the largest Marriott in the world. The 2,008-room, 28-story building contains a nine-story lobby atrium, 38,000-square-foot (3,500 m 2 ) and also has the largest pillar-free ballroom in the world featuring 105,000 square feet (9,800 m 2 ) of meeting space.
In total there is more than 450,000 square feet (42,000 m 2 ) of meeting space, six swimming pools (the main lagoon pool is the largest in Orlando), and ten restaurants and lounges. The 200-acre (0.81 km 2 ) resort property is also home to the 18-hole Hawk’s Landing Golf Course, and the Marriott Vacation Club resorts of Marriott’s Sabal Palms, Marriott’s Royal Palms and Marriott’s Imperial Palm Villas.
In 2002, the hotel completed building a brand new 500-room tower, making the hotel the world’s largest Marriott. In 2007, the hotel added 104,000 square feet of meeting space called the Cypress Ballroom which now connects with the Convention Center. In 2008, the resort was awarded Green Lodging certification by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection,
Is Marriott a billionaire?
Bill Marriott – Wikipedia American businessman For the footballer, see, See also: Bill Marriott Marriott in 1998 Born John Willard Marriott Jr. ( 1932-03-25 ) March 25, 1932 (age 91), U.S. Education () (1954)OccupationExecutive Chairman of Political partySpouseDonna GarffChildren4Website Notes John Willard ” Bill ” Marriott Jr. (born March 25, 1932) is an American businessman who is the executive of, of which he owns 11.28%.
Is Marriott considered a luxury hotel?
Marriott International is known as an innovative leader in luxury hospitality. Each of our globally recognized luxury brands offer owners long term value through category leadership, engagement with loyal and coveted consumers, and dedicated luxury expertise to support operations.
What is the largest hotel chain in world?
World’s largest hotel chain plans to add over 100 new hotels in India by 2025 The world’s largest hotel chain, Marriott International, plans to expand to at least 10 new cities in India in the next two years. “We are in 40 cities today, that should be 50 cities or more by 2025.
- And maybe what is exciting to me is that results in us creating 10,000 new jobs across India,” Anthony Capuano, President & CEO of Marriott International, told CNBC-TV18 on Wednesday.
- Apr 25, 2023 IST 4 Min(s) Read Apr 25, 2023 IST 4 Min(s) Read Apr 25, 2023 IST 5 Min(s) Read Apr 24, 2023 IST 7 Min(s) Read Between opened and planned hotels in the pipelines, the company is looking at expanding to a total of 250 hotels in India by 2025, he said.
Marriott International has 30 brands and over 8,000 properties located in 139 countries. At present, it has 140 hotels in India. Talking about the company’s developmental strategy in India, Capuano said that their objective is to ensure they have the right product in any market for any trip purpose for their travellers.
“We have got to continue to stay focused on the domestic market which is strong and growing. I had the good fortune to spend a bit of time with India’s tourism minister and one of the things we talked about is the importance, as an industry and certainly from Marriott’s perspective, to continue to tell the story globally of what a rich and diverse set of experiences the country offers,” he said, adding that Marriott wants to offer ensure lodging offerings in all of these destinations.
Travelling trends Post the COVID-19 pandemic, a new travelling trend has emerged — ‘bleisure’, which basically blends business and leisure travel. “We talked about this (blended travel) a bit in our fourth-quarter earnings call. The fact that Thursday and Sunday were days of the week that were covered most quickly, I think the is the best empirical data that supports the idea that more and more visitors are blending business and leisure travel or leisure and group travel.
- That’s great news for our industry and it is a trend I continue to see in the future,” he said.
- Also Read: I Capuano said that leisure was a rapidly growing segment even before the pandemic and Marriott was thinking of expanding along the lines as well.
- Not just regarding physical characteristics of the hotels but also about how to programme fitness and spa, how to evolve its food and beverage offerings, etc.
This, he said, has now been accelerated by this blended trip phenomenon. “I think we will continue to aggressively grow the resort portfolio. We will continue, even in city centre hotels, to think of that traveller who shows up even on a Tuesday — Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday wearing business clothes, Friday comes downstairs in flip-flops and shorts.
How do we have the service offering and the mindset of our associates pivot as that customer’s trip purpose does?” he said. Business forecast for 2023 The Marriott International CEO said their forecast for 2023 is continued strong growth. “We gave a relatively large per average room (PAR) growth globally — 6-11 percent — 100 or 200 bps more than the wider range typically,” he said.
Capuano added that he was recently in Boston meeting with the stakeholders and he was asked all the right questions — given the interest rate environment, the socio-political instability in certain areas of the world, doesn’t he see an end to this tremendous arc of recovery? And the answer is we don’t see it in the data yet.
What is the largest hotel in the world?
1. First World Hotel, Genting Highlands, Malaysia – 7,351 – The First Hotel hotel is part of the Resorts World Genting complex. Its two towers are home to 7,351 rooms, and it holds the Guinness World Records title for the largest hotel in the world. Genting Highlands is about an hour’s drive from Kuala Lumpur, and it’s the only place in Malaysia where non-Muslims can gamble. The residents of KL mainly go to Genting Highlands to escape the heat in the city, as the area is located in the mountains, where the weather is much cooler. Well-known Las Vegas artists perform there regularly, as well as musical bands from around the world. The hotel has so many rooms because of these fun activities attracting crowds and Genting Highlands’ remoteness.
How many 5 star Hotels does Marriott have?
The 688 Best Luxury Marriott Hotels and Resorts Hotels | Five Star Alliance.
What is the oldest Marriott in the world?
Steeped in rich history, Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club dates back to 1266 and is the oldest Marriott in the world.
How many Hilton hotels are there in the world?
For nearly a century, Hilton Hotels & Resorts has been proudly welcoming the world’s travelers. With more than 584 hotels across six continents, Hilton Hotels & Resorts provides the foundation for exceptional travel experiences and values every guest who walks through its doors.
Is Marriott a billionaire?
Bill Marriott American businessman For the footballer, see, See also: Bill Marriott Marriott in 1998 Born John Willard Marriott Jr. ( 1932-03-25 ) March 25, 1932 (age 91), U.S. Education () (1954)OccupationExecutive Chairman of Political partySpouseDonna GarffChildren4Website Notes John Willard ” Bill ” Marriott Jr. (born March 25, 1932) is an American businessman who is the executive of, of which he owns 11.28%.
How many 4 star hotels are there in the world?
Explore Hotel Industry Statistics & Trends including Average Occupancy, Rates, Global Hotel Industry Trends & More! – The hotel industry is consistently growing, with over 700,000 hotels around the world and contributing over $3.41 trillion to the global economy, the industry has recovered well from the 2008 recession.
In 2019 the global hotel industry was worth $570 billion USD. In 2018 the hotel company contributing the most revenue was the Marriott generating $20.8 billion USD. The rise in purchasing power, the desire for travel experiences and the increasing number of digital influences are fuelling the growth in the travel industry.
Travelers are spending well over $840 billion a year on hotel stays worldwide and the most expensive room comes in at $100,000 a night! Read on to find out everything you need to know about hotel industry trends.
- In 2019, there are over 700,000 hotels and resorts worldwide.
- The industry is thriving and worth over $570 billion
- The global hotel market has over 4 million hotel rooms worldwide.
The average room rate in the US is $120.01. The travel industry is worth around $1.6 trillion globally and accounts for one-tenth of the world’s GDP. There are over 91,000 hotels and motels in the US, generating over $194 billion a year according to IBISWorld. Over 52,000 of those are hotels. The motel industry has grown by 4.4% over the past 5 years in the US.
- The average occupancy rate for motels was 68% in 2018, 7 out of 10 rooms are occupied at any one time.
- The hotel & motel industry has a total industry revenue of $206 billion (2019), outperforming the wider economy for the last 5 years in the US.
- There are 100,535 businesses within the hotel industry, with more consistently being added to the industry landscape.
- In 2018, there was an increase of 669,460 rooms in the US.
- Over 173 million people are employed in the hotel & motel industry.
There are over 700,000 hotels and resorts worldwide. The industry is thriving and worth over $570 billion worldwide. The global hotel market has over 16.4 million hotel rooms.
- The city with the most hotels is in Beijing, China with 4,169 hotels.
- The city with the most 5* hotels is in London with 75, closely followed by Dubai with 61.
- Luxury hotel statistics shows there are over 4,400 4 and 5-star hotels around the world.
- The leading group in the world is the Wyndham Hotel Group with over 9157 properties.
- Followed by Choice Hotels International which have over 7,045 and Marriot International with 7,003.
- The hotel with the most rooms is The Izmailovo in Moscow with a total of 7,500 rooms!
- The Abraj Kudai in Mecca, Saudi Arabia is under construction but will have the most in the world with a whopping 10,000 rooms!
The industry is worth over $570 billion worldwide, with over 700,000 hotels and resorts and 16.4 million hotel rooms worldwide. Beijing, China is home to the most hotels in the world with over 4,169. In the US, the city with the most hotel rooms is Las Vegas with over 150,000 rooms and New York comes in second with over 115,000.
New York also has the highest number of clean hotel rooms in the US. With the growing demand for travel, the industry is continuing to grow rapidly; the number of new hotels opening just in London is said to reach 121, offering 14,840 new rooms in 2019-20. In Dubai, tourism is soaring and at the end of June 2019, 714 hotels with 118,345 hotel rooms were on offer.
The hotel with most rooms is planned for Saudi Arabi and will have over 10,000 rooms! There’s no question this industry won’t be slowing down any time soon. Sources :,,,,,, There are approximately 9 million guest rooms in the US including everything from budget motels to 5* hotels.
On average, 2% of rooms in all U.S. hotels and motels are occupied at any given time. In 2018 occupancy rose by 5% to 66.2% in the US. The most expensive hotel room in American and now the world is The Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas, taking the concept of luxe travel to a whole different level. Its new Damien-Hirst-designed Empathy Suite costs $100,000 a night.
The Ritz Carlton was rated the best luxury hotel in the U.S. and Canada. There are 150,000 rooms in Las Vegas and the oldest hotel is the Golden Gate which opened in 1906. Since the recession, the US hotel industry has recovered well. There are currently 4.9 million hotels in the US and from 2009 – 2017, gross bookings grew from $116 billion to $185 billion,
- The rise in purchasing power, the desire for travel and the increase in digital influences are fueling the growth in the travel industry.
- The US is full of stunning places to stay, no matter what you’re looking for.
- If you’re not short of cash, then The Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas is home to the most expensive room in the world, The Empathy Suite, named by Time Magazine as one of the ‘world’s greatest places.’ This 2-storey villa was designed by Damien Hirst, and doubles as an art gallery.
It is 9,000 square feet and offers everything from a huge curved bar to a pool overlooking Las Vegas, what more could you want for $100,000 a night? Sources:,,,,
- There were 66 new hotels opened in Dubai in 2018.
- At the end of June 2019, Dubai had 714 hotels with 118,345 rooms.
- By 2020, 25,000 new rooms will be available in Dubai.
- Over 15 million overnight visitors head to Dubai every year.
- Dubai’s hospitality industry supports over 400,000 jobs.
- Dubai’s biggest hotel is the JW Marriott Marquis Dubai with 1,608 rooms, over 20 restaurants, and 72 floors.
- Occupancy has fallen by 2% since previous years but remains high at 70%.
The average daily rate (ADR) fell by 5.8% and RevPAR ( revenue per available room ) fell by 7.7% in 2018. This is down to pricing more competitively, due to a cash-constrained guest profile. ADR is at $201, well above the UAE 10-year average. The hospitality industry in Dubai has grown dramatically, however, in recent years occupancy has started to slow down.
There has been a huge building boom of over $15 billion but this growth has outperformed demand; slowing visitor numbers have meant hotels have had to competitively price rooms. This has resulted in lower ADRs and lower RevPAR. Despite this, the industry isn’t showing signs of slowing down, with 25,000 new rooms planned for 2020.
Dubai is home to some of the world’s most luxurious hotels including the Burj Al Arab. The Royal Suite will set you back $24,000 a night, taking up 2 floors it offers pillars covered in gold and a private library. The biggest hotel in Dubai is currently the JW Marriott Marquis Dubai with 1,608 rooms.
Sources:,, The ADR of a hotel room in the US rose from $124 in 2015 to $129.83 in 2018. From this the RevPAR was $85.96, up 2.9% annually. Canada’s RevPAR was up 5.3% to $108.39, The country with the highest ADR is Geneva, Switzerland with an ADR of $308 a night. The city with the highest ADR in the US is South Beach Miami at $245 a night.
In London, ADR has grown 1.4% to £150.90, Hotel occupancy rate in the UK is 76% and 2% in the US. New York is home to the highest prices per night in the US, with the average being $306 in 2019. The average hotel occupancy rate is slightly higher in the UK at 76% compared with the US at 66.2%.
This is in line with the average global hotel occupancy rate of between 50%-80% with the UK being on the higher side, perhaps due to rising visitor numbers and less accommodation to choose from compared with the US. The average daily rate in the US is rising, with the most expensive daily rate being $306 in New York.
However, Geneva, Switzerland is the most expensive place in the world with an ADR of $308. With demand for rooms increasing, these numbers don’t seem to be dropping any time soon. Sources:,, The hospitality industry contributes $3.41 trillion to the global economy every year.
- US hotel industry was responsible for 1 in 25 jobs in the US in 2018.
- In 2018, the industry was responsible for 3 million jobs – up 160,000 from 2015.
- The average employee works on average 25 hours a week.
- Hoteliers spend on average 33% revenue on labour costs.
- The International Labour Office estimates 55% of the global hotel workforce is female.
- 29% of those working in the hotel hospitality industry is under 21 years old.
- 39% of front of house staff leave within the first 90 days.
88% of Americans choose to book their accommodation online. Websites offer users a simple way to compare prices, rooms, reviews and more all in one place. Customers like to browse for the best deals, plan their own itinerary and like having the freedom to plan less thoroughly.
Millennials prefer to book through a travel agent and browse websites for research over bookings. A study conducted by MMGY Global in 2017-18, found 33% of millennials are eager to use travel agents over the next 2 years. This doesn’t relate to the traditional high street travel agents, but travel advisors who can help millennials plan experiences and off-the-beaten track trips.
- Approximately 41% of travellers book hotel rooms for business trips.
- 40% of business travellers stay just one night, paying $143 on average for their rooms.
- Half of leisure travellers stay just one night, but they get a cheaper price on their room, with an average bill of $123.
$422.82 per night is the amount for a hotel room for a business traveller in NYC, making New York City the most expensive city for business travel in the United States.69% of business travellers book their flight and hotel arrangements on their own. Business and leisure travellers will tend to book their hotels and travel in different ways.
Business travellers traditionally didn’t book their own travel and accommodation and the business would handle this. However, 69% of business travellers now book their own flights and hotels; this is said to be because employees would prefer to choose the flight times and preferred hotel. As the company is covering the expense, travellers won’t tend to be as concerned with the best deal and hunting for a bargain.
Businesses also tend to have negotiated rates with certain hotels. They will perhaps choose hotels which are close to the office and won’t be too concerned with the amenities. Leisure travellers, on the other hand, will be looking for the best price and will have a different set of needs to that of business travellers.
- 58% of travellers chose their hotel based on whether the hotel contributed to the community and gave back to the planet.
- 7% of people will pay $10-$15 extra a night if the hotel is more environmentally friendly.
- 81% of people surveyed travelled green by using recycling facilities in their hotel.
- 70% of travellers said they would be more likely to book hotels and accommodation knowing it was eco-friendly.
Over the past few years, the concept of going green has seen huge growth and this is no exception in the travel sector.70% of travellers would be more likely to book a hotel knowing it was eco-friendly, even if they weren’t originally looking for a sustainable stay and 12.7% of people would also be willing to spend the extra money for an environmentally friendly stay.
Global tourism accounts for 8% of greenhouse gasses and some hotels are starting to take notice and implement environmentally friendly practices to help them become more sustainable. There are thousands of eco-friendly hotels around the world to choose from, but America was considered as one of the most environmentally friendly countries based on Expedia traveller reviews with Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, Mexico being labelled as the most eco-friendly hotel around the world.
Sources :,,,, : 65+ Hotel Industry Statistics & Trends (2020-2021)
How many 5 star hotels does Marriott have?
The 688 Best Luxury Marriott Hotels and Resorts Hotels | Five Star Alliance.